About my baking challenge

I discovered the joy of baking for the first time ever in 2013, shortly after my dear mum passed away from cancer. During 2014 I tried to bring these two things together in a positive way , have fun and raise some money for Ashgate Hospice in Chesterfield where my mum passed away. Throughout the year I tried out new techniques and recipes from time to time ... and then sold some of my bakes for charity in my workplace. Since then I have continued to bake with some ups and downs .. and this blog charts my baking experiences, good and bad!

Tuesday 24 May 2016

Warrington Clandestine Cake Club - Fit For A Queen!

Hi everyone ...
Long time no post from me, but I've been inspired to post this evening as I have just got home from this evening's meeting of the Warrington Clandestine Cake Club ... and what a brilliant time we had!!
Due to various personal reasons I haven't been to a meeting of the CCC for quite a long time; but I decided to attend this one as following the departure of the previous lovely co-ordinator, the running of the branch has been taken over by my former colleague Jen Perry and her baking buddy Mitch Poole. Indeed several of us from the office decided to go along to support them.

The theme was

Cakes Fit For A Queen

.. to celebrate the Queen's recent 90th birthday.


There was a right royal turn out with almost 20 bakers in attendance plus quite a few guests, and a stunning variety  of cakes on offer including (but not limited to)

Royal Red Velvet cake
Victoria sponge
Various yummy sponges with cream and berries
Mc Fraisier Cake
Trifle cheesecake
Carrot cake
Orange and seed cake
Vanilla and coconut cake
Ginger cake
Chocolate biscuit cake
Lamington sponge
Orange drizzle cake

I made a variation on an orange drizzle cake with orange buttercream icing and filling, inspired by the fact that last year's GBBO winner Nadiya was recently commissioned to make something along similar lines (but rather grander!) for the Queen's actual birthday celebration!


The event was held in the Gallery Café, Bank Quay House, Sankey Street in Warrington, and it was a great location ... the room was large and airy with a big table for us all to sit around; and Mei who owns and runs the café was really lovely and helpful.

A special mention should go to our new organiser Jen Perry, who  has recently left work with us at Warrington  Borough Council to start up her own afternoon tea and vintage china hire business - Room Forty.
Jen contributed some of her lovely vintage china place settings, cake stands and other decorations to set up the table, making for a lovely setting.  Also although all the cakes were fabulous Jen had also gone the extra mile to create a "showstopper" Royal Red Velvet cake with a sculptured chocolate crown!!

All in all we had a fantastic evening ... can't wait for the next one!


I'll be back soon with the recipe for the orange drizzle cake ...
Hugs,


1 comment: